The longest journey!!!

Posted by Mithila

This is one of my journeys to my hometown- Bhavnagar; during my engineering days… it was not long that I befriend a guy from my hometown itself. He was my junior in school too and now he was in my college. The best part- I never talked to him during school days!! But somehow I knew this thing (or could figure it out) that he was very shy right from school days… yeah I know its funny!! But I had seen him heads all down or looking at ground when he faced a girl… I used to smile at it (found little bit weird then).

He wears the innocence of a small child (till date), umm baby I would say!! And thank God he was not sooo shy talking to me!! To begin with as a senior I offered him my help; in case he needed books n all stuff… so I gave him my mobile no. & he accepted it with gratitude. Then one fine day before his exams he wanted my guidance regarding his paper. So I met him in library tick marking all those important things n topics that were must read!! Library was a comfortable place to chat… as he opened up for the first time there--his private secrets of life (not to mention here). But he was at ease talking to me over the phone rather than meeting personally (you know the shy thing)

So, we had holidays & exams at the same time. Henceforth I was going home for the weekends; but but but I was bunking classes (not all) on Thursday and Friday was already a holiday. So I genuinely asked him if he was goin home?? At that he told he was still in the thought process… I could make out from his voice that he was not well!! So I asked him and advised that he better be home at the earliest.. but he’s a very sincere student and does not give a cent to bunking and I dint know this at that time!! I called him again to ask if his thought process was over & can u believe it he was still pondering!! (Aaarrrgghhh) I insisted him to bunk two lectures (only)!! And when he told that his mom also conveyed the same thing; I felt the magnitude has increased & put some more pressure on him to come along home as I was also going that day.. Low response again!! Finally I told him to inform me if he changed his mind!! (I was shocked that inspite of his bad health he wanted to attend those lectures, bah!)

Luckily he called up in sometime with a positive response.. I told him that I would wait for him at janta chokdi…(Uh well, this is a place from where we get shuttle or chakda to tarapur, again from where we catch a bus to our hometown- tedious process, I know!!) He turned up within few minutes with a surly face. I kept on guessing the reason till he crossed the road and came near & turned his face away!! He hinted me about the reason.. it was then I figured out that his mood was gone as I insisted him to bunk..!! I was left gasping—I had told him because of his bad health… so, better to remain silent- I thought!!

On our way to tarapur, I offered to share my hansfree & listen to radio for timepass (actually to cool him down!!).. but failed!!  For courtesy, I thought I should say sorry!! So I did a trick (dare not to talk).. I went to write msg and typed in – I am sorry if you think what I did was wrong!!(not the exact words, 3yrs have passed!) and displayed the thing before him.. he gave half a nod & continued looking outside; though seated besides me. We dint speak a word till Tarapur. I did acts like offering him water n stuff to check if he accepts or not… thank God – everything was fine until ; when he suddenly opened his mouth-“I’ll go in a S.T. bus if it arrives before the luxury bus” (he knew I travel in luxury only) I took that calmly- my mind was firm; I had planned in such a way as to reach tarapur just before the bus timings!! And so there was it!! We boarded the bus the first seat itself…as we settled down to take a look at tv screen- Mohobbatein!!(the movie they had put on) I felt like uninvited head ache!! He started the conversation gradually and I was contented that finally he was OK (YESS!! achievement) I talked calmy- replied only his questions… then at the stop he got down and bought cold drinks (frooti to be prcised) for us.. he talked something and smiles (YESS!! Another achievement!!) The rest of the journey went smoothly….

He later on became one of my closest friends, but till date I dint forget the grin on his face that day!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment