My engineering days !!!

Posted by Mithila



The most common question asked to us in our childhood-“My dear, what will you grow up to be?” and I would say without giving thought of even a nanosecond “DOCTOR(undoubtedly!)” because then I thought it was the best thing a human could be- humble and honest and moreover life savior. And I never felt eeky about blood!! But when I grew up and faced realities of this harsh world, I had no other option except admission in engineering. Poor me! I never wished that in my academics. Credit to my merit!!


And after my admission to the college as well as the hostel in another city about 180kms from my hometown, I made myself aware of the fact that now I have to live without mom-dad and the comforts of home, sweethome!! Thank God my schoolmate had also taken admission in the same college and we requested to the rector to get a common room and she allowed!! So the big day had come and as our moms arranged things in our tiny cupboards we were busy attending the orientation programme, glancing at a herd of sufferers of our kind! I doubted whether I would cry or not when mom leaves, as I still had my friend to me. But its not that difficult for a girl to cry, you know!! (cry in front of her and she’ll also cry!) Well I’m not much of that kind; still I dropped a tear or two to mark the commencement of hostel (exile) life.


To be specific after four years I would be an electrical engineer (yuck! - I thought). By God’s grace my college time was 11:00am so that I dint have to wake up early. First year was short and speedy and it went as fast as ice melts once its outta freezer!! Then I shifted to a private flat system- more comfortable and less rules to follow!! And there was a common TV room too!! So second year went in quite a luxury; roaming and hanging out with friends and short trips or you can say big picnics!!


I was in third year then. Some seriousness had to be inculcated now. But still my schedule remained as it was- One fine morning, all of a sudden the alarm in my mobile rang aloud and vibrated everything as if a tsunami had occurred. I woke up to find myself all alone in the room. My room-mates had a morning shift college so they were all gone. I got up and searched for toothbrush with half eyes open. I put on some music to drive away my sleep. Hmm, I usually take 45minutes to get ready. As my college is at 11:00 I do not get time for breakfast because I wake up at 10:00am. My bag is never packed, as I do things at eleventh hour! In years bag had reduced to a single book and pen!



I had never in the deepest dream ever thought of electrical engineering. Imagine four years with wires and wires and some more wires!!! The circuits become me and more complex with each advancing year. Books increase their size in all dimensions. Professors come and go like mighty breeze, and their lectures leave amoeba like impressions on our concrete minds! And your brain shrinks to a volume that is infinitesimally small and can vanish or lose its existence at any instant. On a second opinion minds become highly volatile and may explode anytime!! During this time you also suffer from various types of headaches, hypertension, insomnia and develop some kind of phobias that never existed. You may also experience nervousness and embarrassments- situations generally arising during viva sessions. And to worsen it further (thinking its not enough), they tell you to make and submit projects within a deadline you could never meet!! So you see engineering is not that easy. We are trained in this manner!

0 comments:

Post a Comment